To celebrate the Coronation of King George V in 1911, a tree was planted at the foot of West Down and a seat placed beneath it, a gift from the people of the village. The tree, a chestnut known as the Coronation Tree, was transplanted from the Churchyard. After lightning damage rendered the tree unsafe a few years ago, Test Valley Borough Council replaced it with an
oak tree. All the trees in the Conservation Area are subject to preservation orders administered by the Parish Council, a statutory body of Government
responsible for the economic, cultural and physical wellbeing of the community it serves. Major Heath Smith is Chairman of the Parish Council.