To commemorate King George V’s Coronation in 1911, the publican of the New Inn on the Common presented the grindstone to the people of the village. It was mounted in an oak frame to stand under the elm tree outside the (old) Village Hall until 1937, when the Hall was extended. The grindstone now stands next to the telephone kiosk on Abbots Green. It is considerably smaller today due to erosion caused by water dripping from the tree at the original site.
Image embroidered byMatthew Hoare Junior